Saturday, September 25, 2010

1.4 Magnifier

I just received my new Leica Viewfinder Magnifier M 1.4 and thought I would share a few thoughts on the performance and value of this accessory. I'm using it with my Leica Elmarit 90mm 2.8 on a Leica M-9 body. My first impression was this costs a lot I hope it makes focusing easier with a telephoto lens.
When I received it I was impressed that the quality of this accessory is in keeping with other high end Leica products, first class.
The viewfinder comes with a leather case that attaches to the camera strap with a leash that attaches to the magnifier. The magnifier screws into the M-9s eyepiece and it does a great job of magnifying the focusing circle. The framing lines are also magnified and appear brighter.
How does it perform in use ? For me just great, I have only shot with it for two days but my picture hit rate for sharp focus is improved. How much improved ? I would say about twenty to thirty percent which makes this purchase worth the investment for me. Others have had different results and results may vary with different lens combination. Here are a few photo examples:
 Old farm equipment taken through a barb wire fence sharp focus on the disks.
 Fall colors highlight this leaf, note the sharpness on the stem of the leaf.
Old oak tree converted to black and white with Silver Efex Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment