Sunday, March 7, 2010

Leica M-9

After months of waiting I received my Leica M-9 this week and have been busy acclimating myself to shooting with a range finder camera. The question you may have is why did you buy a range finder when there are so many wonderful full frame DSLR cameras available?
Good question and the answer for me was that I have two primary cameras that I have been using a Nikon D300 and Leica D-Lux 4. The D300 is a 3/4 sensor camera and takes wonderful pictures but I have found that as versatile as it is, it is larger than I want to carry with me everyday. The Leica D-Lux 4 on the other hand is small and easy to carry takes beautiful pictures but does not have a changeable lens.
The Leica M-9 on the other hand is smaller than the D300 and is way smaller than the full frame Nikon D-3. The range finder thing on the M-9 brings me back to my old Nikon FM both in size and need to manually focus the camera. Simpler menu systems a solid build quality and very comfortable to carry. No pocket camera like the D-Lux 4 but can be carried very comfortably with the supplied camera strap around ones neck.
The M-9 is not a camera that is versatile as the full frame DSLR's as far as the ability to attach telephoto lenses or high ISO's. There is no perfect camera you need to choose one that meets your needs, what your shooting style and expectations are. Having this in mind I will still be shooting with my Nikon D300 a great camera for low light and telephoto shots. The D-Lux 4 for the ability to put it in your pocket and take it anywhere. The M-9 will be my camera of choice for the style of shooting I like to do.
For those of you interested in the D-Lux 4 I will continue to share my thoughts and suggestions on this great little camera along with my thoughts on the M-9. Today's pictures were taken with the M-9.
 
 Black and White Horse
  
Boarded up Cottage
 
 HDR Orchids

No comments:

Post a Comment