Thursday, June 3, 2010

I-Pad for Photographers (2)

In this installment I'm just going to show you some results from some jpg shots I took today and that were processed on the I-Pad. I used 3 different apps, Photogene, Filterstorm and PhotoPad to get an idea of which is easiest, most effective as far as their layout and available tools.
PhotoPad has a few filters, like cutout, contrast and color adjustments along with paint brush and paint bucket for the artists out there. The menus are simple to use as are the available tools including a history option to go back to different state in your processing. The picture below was processed in Photopad of a macro focus mode photo shot with the Leica D-Lux 4. The filters use were chromaticity and contrast to bring the differences out between the in focus and out of focus elements.
Filterstorm comes with a demonstration video that highlights a lot of tools and filters available including the ability to apply filters to specific colors. A nice application for those projects that require more processing than normal. I used the black and white conversion filter and then added the sepia filter to get the desired effect. (Leica D-Lux 4)
Photogene is the one I find I use most often it has a large number of adjustments and filters available in a intuitive format. Included is symbols which may be useful for some as you can drag them into the photo and then edit them by double tapping on the symbol. Included is a custom format for text font, color and fill. In this first shot I added sharpness and contrast to make the photo pop. (Leica D-Lux 4)

In this next photo I used the web effect filter, the highlight and shadow adjustments to bring out the strong color contrast between the sky and the grasses. Then I used the frame effect to round the corners and to give some depth to the photo. (Leica D-Lux 4)
In this last photo I just did a simple crop using the 1 to 1 ratio. (Leica D-Lux 4 in macro focus mode)
The answer is yes you can use the I-Pad to edit your pictures in the field especially if you just plan to use them for the web. There are plenty of You Tube videos out there if you want to see how folks are using these apps to process their photos.
My choice for photo apps are Photogene for the number of tools and ease of use and Filterstorm for the ability to select individual colors to apply filters to more difficult to process images. 
For me I will continue to use the I-Pad to edit photos only when I'm away from my computer. For blog publishing and e-mailing, fun and or interesting photos the I-Pad is a wonderful tool. Try it yourself and you might be hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment